Every four years we have one, as we leap into the 29th day of February. Foundation Repair . Most people go by the count that there are 365 days in a year, but there are actually 365 1/4, meaning that every 4th year, that fractional day is made up for by adding the extra day in February. Easy to remember – every year that the Summer Olympics are held is a leap year. This list presents some cool little factoids about this very special year.
- Leap year babies born in the year 1884 did not celebrate a single birthday on their actual birth date throughout entire teen age years.February 29th fell on the year they turned 12 and then not again until they turned 20.
- The tradition of women proposing to men on leap year day dates all the way back to 5th century Ireland.
- In 1288 Queen Margret of Scotland ordered that any man who was proposed to on Leap Year�s Day and refused the proposal could be fined either a kiss, a silk dress, or a pair of gloves that were to be given to the rejected woman. So a woman, who was extremely unpopular could fund her entire wardrobe by proposing to a lot of men she knew would refuse her.
- The very first calendar that provided for leap year was introduced in 238 B.C. By King Ptolemy.
- Astrologers believe that anyone being born on February 29th has unusual talents and personalities befitting of their special birth dayPeople born on leap year�s day are called leaplings.
- The last leap year was 2008 and the next leap year will be 2012.
- Anthony, Texas is the self proclaimed leap year capital of the world. Every year this little town that sits on the border of New Mexico holds a festival and leap year birthday celebrations complete with a carnival and hot air balloon rides. People come from all over the world to celebrate their special birthday in style.
- The chances of having a leap year birthday are 1 in 1,461
- There are about 4 million people in the world who have been born on February 29th.
Leap Year In Tech Talk:
Leap years are not just a natural occurrence which comes by every four years and simply adds one day to the calendar. It is a very important mechanism to remain in sync with the exact time which the earth takes to complete its trip around the sun, which, in exact terms, equals 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds. Android Game Engine . Otherwise the earth would remain short of one day every four years in its orbit and these days would pile up to 24 days after 100 years, which would mess up the seasonal calendar too.
In technical language, we can say those 365 days in a calendar year sum up to 360 degrees of a circle which exemplifies that the earth travels approximately 1 degree in its orbit every day. So, every year, the earth would be 0.25 degree short of its original position and after 4 years it would add up to 1 degree. And when it becomes full 180 degrees after many years, things would get awry for us because the different seasons are based on the earth�s axial tilt and the difference between the winter and summer is exactly 180 degrees.